Saturday, April 16

The Tour of OKC: A day trip through my own town

Sometimes adventure is right in your own backyard (or just a few miles downtown).  Today I did a 34 mile tour of my city.  I saw some things I've seen before, some things I have not and some things I wish I wouldn't have.
This wasn't a ride about speed or distance, just about getting on your bike and seeing some sights- and taking PLENTY of pictures!!  Distance: 34.4 miles.  Avg speed: 12.1  Not a stellar distance- not a stellar pace.  Just plain fun!
I went with a friend from Stillwater who drove down.  He created this ride using the trails in OKC and linking them together.  We took trails on the way downtown, and rode the OKC Marathon course backwards on the way back up to my house.

Here is my tale in pictures:

Riding along through Nichols Hills we see a mini-carnival:  Earthday Birthday.  
How could we NOT stop for that?
 Sno-cones at Earthday Birthday
 
 We're goin' to the zoo zoo zoo...
 The 45th Infantry Museum.  Very cool artifacts from this most important Army division.  
Think M*A*S*H*

check out this cool old plane, and the amphibious vehicle behind it, and the ambulance to the left behind it, and the jeep... so many neat relics to be seen!

 Then less than a half mile away is the OK Railway Museum.  We got to play with real trains!
I wanna drive this engine
 In the top of a caboose

they might be slow as trains, but these were our wheels for the day
 OK, so not so proud of the choice here, but you take what you can get sometimes.
Not eco-friendly for sure- and not even very tasty, but...
I was about to crash from hunger and this was the only thing near. 
It didn't make ME happy, but it made my belly happy to have something in it, so whatever...
OK Land Run memorial statues

 The statues were HUGE.  I'm all up in this horses junk.

a group of people gather outside the climbing gym downtown
probably praying they don't die as they climb the outside of this old grain silo

The monstrosity that Devon Energy is building downtown.  
I don't think it's even halfway done yet.  
It's supposed to be eleventy billion stories tall
Thunder Pride
more Thunder pride
downtown art

a big ass boot
while my guitar gently weeps... mostly because I'm playing it
WTH?  Giant penguin...ooookaaaayyyy
beautiful downtown shot

pretty old house along the marathon course
the Asian district
one of the 168 banners that line the Memorial Marathon course with a name of each of the victims of the April 19th attack

So there you go.  A tour of my own city.  It was a lot of fun.  Very relaxed pace and just enjoying all the sights and sounds my beautiful city has to offer.  Rode through very diverse sections of the city:  from wealthy Nichols Hills, to some run down parts of town, to historic downtown, to the Asian district, to major shopping centers, and on back home- to my little slice of the city in The Village.  

Remember that adventure doesn't have to be far from your doorstep.  Stop and explore your own city.
Seeing it from the seat of a bike gives you a whole new perspective and makes it feel like a new place.  Two wheels take you where four cannot.

This eco-cyclist had a blast seeing the sights on two wheels under her own power.  Power to the pedal!




No comments: