Tuesday, April 12

so is *THIS* what it's like????

to ride with little to no wind??? Is this what "the other side" deals with???

Oh yeah- I'll take a double dose, please!!!!

Today was amazing!  Started out a little chilly, but a light jacket took care of that pesky chill in the air.  The ride to work was speedy... well, except for having to stop and fix my seat post twice.  The day warmed up nicely, and by the time I got off work and headed home- it was GLOR. E. US!  Hallelujah!!!! 
It was so peaceful and clam.  The wind was wasn't tormenting me (I'm so used to writing was, I forgot the n't).  It was just perfect.  Saw lots of runners, walkers and other riders out and about.  Everybody was taking advantage of this marvelous day. 
wheeeeeeeeeeee.....

The sun was shining- the birds were singing (well, I'm assuming they were- I didn't hear any), the people were out and about at the lake, the cars were nice and forgiving, the lake was bone dry. 

WHOA!  WHAT???

Yup- you heard that right.  The lake is dry.  Well, not *totally*... but close.
I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I think that Lake Hefner is about to dry up.  I've heard rumors that it's up to 70 ft. deep in places, but at it's current rate of being used up- I'm doubting that there will be any water left by the end of the summer.  It's scary low.  Terrifyingly low.  Blood-curdling screamingly low.  I'm talking STEPHEN KING scary low!! EEK!
 Wait- there's not supposed to be a beach at the lake...
 Yeah- when you look between these trees normally-you only see water- not brown dirt
So seeing the lake in this predicament is really hard for me.  Normally by the end of summer the lake gets dry at the inlets and it's OK because it's hot and it's summer.  It's been like this since February.  It truly makes me sad in my soul.  It breaks my heart is what it does.  I feel so badly for the lake, because although it's an inanimate object- it still must "feel" things.  It feels the fish moving, the birds swooping down and bathing, the sun heating it up, the cold ice and frigid temps of winter.  It's not just a lake- it's MY lake.  I am here 4-6 times a week.  It's my second home.  I feel like it's a part of me, so when it's in trouble I feel it's pain.  I pray for rain daily and hope that we will see it soon.  We so desperately need it.


OK- so the other SUPER EXCITING thing that happened today is... are you ready for it??? 

Hammock Time!!!!!
u-oh- uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh 
 STOP!  Hammock Time!
Oh you heard me- it's time to bring out the hammock from it's cold dark storage spot in the corner of the garage.  WOOT WOOT!!!  I brought out my book that I'm currently reading (No Impact Man by Colin Beavan- excellent read on reducing your carbon footprint, BTW) and jumped in the hammock for an hour or so.  It was DEE. LIGHT. FUL!!!!!
The hammock gets a thumbs-up from me!
 egads, man- those legs are PASTY!!!

So do you know how I know it's spring?  The hammock came out, I enjoyed a beautifully warm (but not too warm) day of riding, and I read outside for an hour and didn't get eaten alive.
Life is good.  Very good indeed!!!!

NOW GO GET ON YOUR BIKE AND RIDE!!!!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Made myself dizzy riding around Mitch yesterday. But it was a good ride while waiting on Emily at practice!!

It is sad about Hefner. I don't know what they are going to do about it either.

Looking forward to riding with you again!!!!

Oh and I so need to get a hammock!

Tri Girl said...

What? I was going to suggest a century at Mitch this summer. I think a 20 loop ride at Mitch would be awesome!! ;)
And yes- you NEED a hammock!! Let's ride soon!!